Wednesday 17 April 2013

Themes and patterns from the Iliad and the movie Troy


An important theme in the movie was the idea of mortality. In the movie it shows mortality being gruesome and painful as it should be but also that everone is mortal and not imortal. For example Achilles was explained in the Iliad as a god like figure also know as a Demigod. Achilles mother was Thetis and his father was Peleus. In the movie its shows that even though achilles moves swiftly he is still mortal as he was killed by an arrow to the heel “Achilles Heel”. An important theme in the Iliad was pride. In the iliad it shows that pride is what made society strong. Pride was often dipicted as a distructive force as it created conflict between Achilles and Agamemenon. “Still I am willing to give her back, if such is the best way. I myself desire that my people be safe, not perish. Find me then some prize that shall be my own, lest I only among the Argives go without, since that were unfitting”- Agamemnon speaking to Achilles Book 1 Richmond Lattimore’s translation.

1 comment: